Re: Power vs quarter mile

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Fri Feb 11 2005 - 11:42:27 EST

Bob Tom <tigers@bserv.com> wrote:

: At 11:28 AM 2/8/05, you wrote:
:>The one time I borrowed Bill's DOTs, the short time was 2.05,
:>but I wasn't able to spin them enough to make them effective;
:>you're supposed to do a burnout until you see just a whisp
:>of smoke coming off them, but when I tried that with my
:>non-line-locked 5 speed, it would just launch the truck instead
:>of spinning the tires. :-) -Jon-

: Funny you should mention that. I can't spin them either
: when they are dry :-( I have to back up and put them
: on the wet surface or, at TMP, put them into the water
: (they're pretty stingy with the water there :-P ), roll out
: and spin them.

: Because of my flaky, wot, will-it-shift or won't-it-shift tranny :-(,
: I don't even try to spin them now! Seems to help but
: I hate it when the opponent is waiting at the tree and
: I go through my go-around-the-water, back up, line up
: routine that I still use :-) and the flagman turns his head
: slowly around and wonders what the heck I'm doing :-)

  Yep, I can understand that. :-)

  Hehehe! I can see it now... :-) Bob methodically runs through
the usual prestage routine, and the entire time the other guy is
deep staged and bouncing off his rev limiter. :-) Could be useful
though if you want to psyche out the other guy - maybe add a
checklist and make a big deal about checking off each item as
you complete it. Then, just as you turn on the first staging bulb,
stop and pull out your razor for a quick shave before the run.
(If the starter asks, tell him you needed to "shave off a little
weight".) Bonus points if you use a straight razor and shaving cream
instead of an electric. ;-)

--
                                          -Jon-

.-- Jon Steiger ---- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com --. | 1970 Barracuda - 1990 Dakota 'vert - 1992 Ram 4x4 - 1996 Dakota | | 1996 Intruder 1400 - 1996 Kolb FireFly - 2001 Ram QC 3500 CTD | `------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com --'