Spark plug replacement

From: droo (03dakotaCC4.7_4x4@comcast.net)
Date: Sat Feb 12 2005 - 11:22:33 EST

I read in a forum earlier this week about the dakotas coming from the
factory with spark plug gaps that are way off and that when people
adjusted them to spec they got a little better performance and some gas
mileage improvement. So even thought my truck has almost 30k miles on it
now, I decided to just take a look and adjust my gap. This is really the
first time I went under the hood to mess with my 4.7. I had the 3.9
previously and didn't have much trouble. Now I don't have a lot of
knowledge about cars but I like to tinker with minor stuff like the spark
plugs. So I pop the hood and checked out the situation. I wasn't sure how
the coil packs were on and how they worked and everything but I have no
problem figuring that out. Took that one bolt off and it slipped right
out. Then I saw how far down those plags are in the engine. I only have a
small ratchet set and I didn't have an extension long enough to reach the
plug. That was pretty much the end of that. I decided to look at the rest
of the plugs to see if there were any other potential obstacles I might
encounter when I get a longer extension for my set. I see that two of the
spark plugs have what look to me to be the heater core lines running right
over the top of them. How do I get those plugs out of there? Do I need to
remove the lines? Also is there anything else I should be aware of before
i try this again?

--
-Droo

http://www.grandroyal.org/dakota