New idea on engine backfiring/popping/burbling

From: BlackDak93 (sbarnett56@adelphia.net)
Date: Sun Feb 13 2005 - 12:44:11 EST

I brought this topic up a few months ago, and I am still trying to find a
solution to it. The problem is my '93 Dakota 5.2L with 5-speed manual,
backfires through the exhaust on deceleration. I have been through hundreds
of hours and many more dollars trying to resolve it. I have been through
everything I can and been to several shops, including my friendly Dodge
dealer to have it checked out. The Dodge technician, charged me $180.00 to
tell me that there is abosutely nothing wrong with the engine. He believed
the problem to be my exhaust. To make a long story short, it is not my
exhaust, although it does make it more noticeable. Stock exhaust did the
same thing. The second leading theory is that this is normal for Dodge
Magnum engines, and the problem is worse with a manual transmission (it pops
back when I let off the gas to shift). I am not willing to concede that this
is normal, although I have come to the decision that the problem is the
manner in which the PCM controls the fuel. My primary basis for this theroy
is that when I install a different PCM ( I have three) the
backfiring/popping/burbling disappears for about three days until, I assume,
the PCM gets itself reprogrammed. Then the popping comes back. Every
technician I have been to is unwilling to accept any other theory except the
exhaust system and will not objectively pursue any other ideas. I am not
going to put the exhaust back to stock just to prove them wrong. I have been
studying my manuals, and have decided to try a 94 or 95 PCM, to see if they
would work any better. I believe that a later model (pre-'96) PCM will still
work. All the connections are the same with the exception of pin 5 which is
a signal ground that goes to the DataLink connector. On the later model,
this line is still grounded, but not connected to the PCM.

I have a few questions: First, I would like to hear what you guys all think.
Any new ideas about this? Has anyone tried running a 94 or 95 PCM on a 93?
Also does anyone have a 94 or 95 PCM for a 5.2L-5speed with Federal
emissions that they would part with? I would rent, buy or borrow just to try
my theory. I have searched the internet and I believe that part number
56028262 is the correct part. There may be a 56028341 also, but I can't
verify if that number is correct. Or does anyone have a Mopar Performance
PCM number 5249542 they would sell? There is a remanufactured PCM out there
made by a company called A-1 Cardone. Has anyone ever used one of these? I
am desperate to get this fixed. I have had this truck for over 10 years and
I love the truck. I spent a lot of money swapping in this engine but it
makes me want to park the truck and not even drive it anymore.

Any new ideas or help would be appreciated. BTW, I have gone through the
entire intake/exhaust systems checking for leaks. Replaced the leaking belly
pan gasket. All the sensors have been replaced and checked. Compression is
good. Timing is good according to the Dodge tech. Distributor cam sync has
been set. Vacuum has been checked. All the normal stuff.