RE: RE: DML Paintball

From: Wayne Allewelt (wallewelt@mai-aec.com)
Date: Wed Feb 16 2005 - 09:36:48 EST

I haven't seen any accuracy testing done by the magazines or seen anything
but pure opinion from blogs. You know and everyone has their opinion
I agree with you, I like the surgical approach also. Even though it looks
like a spray and pray approach because of the amount of paint they use, but
I know some guys who are on teams and they are pretty good at hitting the
same 4" dia. area with good consistency. Also remember that the rules state
that a hit on any of your equipment including the gun, air tank, or pod
counts as a hit.

> : Most
> : of the barrels sold out there are port rifled not internally rifle like
> : real gun. One company that I know of makes an internally rifled barrel
> but I
> : heard that its accuracy goes to hell once you have a paintball break in
> it,
> : but I been told that it is far more accurate than just a barrel with the
> : ports, as long as you don't break any balls. Actually any of the barrels
> out
> : there accuracy goes to hell once a paintball breaks inside them.
>

> Is that the "flatline" barrel I have seen referenced, or something
> different? Seems like I heard the "flatline" barrel is supposed to
> spin the painball, but it spins it backwards, not like a rifle would,
> which is supposed to flatten out the trajectory and give additional
> distance and accuracy. Seems like I heard they do it with a curved
> barrel though as opposed to anything internal, so this may be something
> different.

The flatline barrel by Tippmann does put a backspin on the ball. But the
barrel I'm thinking of actually has the internal rifling grooves just like a
gun. It's called an "Armson Stealth Barrel".

> : The velocity limit out of the barrel is 180'/sec as that is what most
> : paintball fields limit the velocity to.
>

> Just curious - do you know how they enforce/determine this?
> (Chronometer?)
> Or perhaps there is a time/distance rule of thumb that can be applied?

They use a chronometer. Before each scenario starts, at the local field I
play at, they chrono everyone, because it seems that some people like to
carry their tools in their pockets and adjust the velocity up once they are
out in the field, but they forget to adjust it back before the next scenario
that is why they chrono before each one. Unfortunately it doesn't prevent
them from making their readjustments in the field.

Getting hit at 25' isn't bad. What hurts is getting hit at 15' or less. Also
getting hit by a gun that is running hot hurts even more. I've been hit by a
gun that was running hot and it actually caused a bruise close to a 2" dia.
You usually get used to getting hit from a properly set up gun. Yeah it does
leave a bruise the size of a quarter. I've had mosquito and ant bites that
are more irritating.

Wayne
01 Intense Blue V8 QC