Re: (Slightly OFF-Topic) Neon 2.0 Fuel mileage

From: Josh Battles (josh@omg-stfu.com)
Date: Wed Feb 16 2005 - 22:50:39 EST

Gary Hedlin wrote:

> I've been getting 17-18 with the 05 on average. However when I went up to
> Minnesota last weekend, I managed to get 20 on the way back.
>
> But what I can't figure out is why my gas milage went down to 16 when I had
> the tailgate down. I started out with the tailgate down, then after 100
> miles, I noticed I was only getting 16mpg's. Then I pulled over, put the
> tailgate back up, and got 19mpg the rest of the way.
>
> Logic says having it down would help, but for the life of me I can't think
> of why it would hurt me THAT much.

Yep, there was a study done about this. I didn't believe it so I drove
a whole tank with my tailgate in 3 positions. (one tank for each position)

All these numbers are IIRC, so bear with me.
Tailgate UP = 19mpg
Tailgate DOWN = 15mpg
Tailgate OFF = 18mpg

After doing that, I just drove with the tailgate up all the time. Then
I managed to gain almost 2mpg between the drop and bedcover.

--
- Josh
Lowered 2000 Dakota CC 3.9L