Re: Re: Untitled

From: will (k_kodiak2@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Mar 08 2005 - 18:30:33 EST

Gary,

Thanks for the welcome here! Actually, I've been
lurking on this forum off-and-on. but now I need some
real advice from the experts.

I've seen your name here for a long time. So I know
you know what you're doing. My truck has approx 160k
miles on it. A few months ago the radiator top cracked
off and blew all over the engine compartment. I had
tried to fix a small hairline crack on it with some
stuff from AutoZone. But obviously didn't work.

So I figured I should just do the whole thing and
rebuild the engine. The price is right for parts and
labor, including machine shop services $1,200. That
includes everything from taking it out to putting
everything back in. My friend had this guy rebuild his
corvette engine last year and it rocks. Clean. No
leaks. No problems.

Basically, it's going to be a daily driver. I'd like
it reliable and strong. Maybe I'm getting carried away
with all the mods I've read about. As you mentioned
they can be very expensive.

What about balancing the motor's internal parts? Is
that reasonable? Do you have recommendations for
pistons, rings, cam, oil pump, lifters, timing chain.
I've seen cloyes double-roller with tensioner
mentioned on this list several times. I will replace
that along with the water pump (I already got from
dealer) and the radiator (I was a recommendation for
PerformanceRadiator here on the list).

Also, I know that I have a really squeaky front end.
So I was thinking of having the bushings and things
like that replaced while the engine and trans our out.
Any recommendations for rebuild kits. Maybe new
shocks, too. Depends on cost -- as you mentioned. I
budgeted $2,500 for the rebuild. So I do have 'extra"
money. Hahahahaha...right.

If you have any suggestions where to get parts, and
what parts to use, I will appreciate very much. I was
going to do this myself. But I"ve only had experience
with an old vw bug motor. And at at that price, I
figure the builder has more experience.

Thanks for your reply and interest. Look forward to
hearing from you again.

will
--- Gary Hedlin <garyhedlin@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!