Re: Rear End Lookup ....please

From: Kyle Vanditmars (kylevan@telus.net)
Date: Mon Mar 14 2005 - 03:02:10 EST

Dan Kramarsky wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I found a rear end at a junk yard. Guy said it was for Dakota '90 or '92 something.
>

> Can someone please look it up? The embossed letter looked liked this
>
> * 26570
> 4384213
>
> I need to know spline, size, and if limited slip.

I'm assuming it's an 8-1/4"

In that case, it'll be 27 spline unless it's from after '96 or '97
(can't remember which year,) in which case it will be 29 spline.

Couldn't you pull the diff cover and look at the carrier to determine
limited-slippiness? If it's that old, the clutches are bound to be
pretty worn, and since you can't rebuild the 8-1/4 LSD clutchpacks,
you'll need to replace the diff anyway.