Re: Rear End Lookup ....please

From: Walt@Walt-n-Ingrid.Com
Date: Mon Mar 14 2005 - 05:43:14 EST

In article <20050314064957.93182.qmail@web41013.mail.yahoo.com>,
dkramarsky68@yahoo.com (Dan Kramarsky) writes:

> Hi,
>
> I found a rear end at a junk yard. Guy said it was for Dakota '90 or '92
something.

> Can someone please look it up? The embossed letter looked liked this
>
> * 26570
> 4384213
>
> I need to know spline, size, and if limited slip.
>
> ( where the * is really the Chrysler symbol. so i think the p/n is the
4384213 )

> Dan K.

That number embossed on the housing would be the part number for the housing
itself, I don’t believe that would indicate if it were an open or limited slip
diff inside or even the gear ratio for that matter. It's most likely an 8¼”
even though the 7¼” was used in some of the 4 cylinder trucks. The 8¼” had
27-spline axle shafts up to and including 96. Assuming it is a Dakota axle,
obviously, 5-lugs would be 90 or older, 6 lugs would be 91 or newer but the
shafts are interchangeable so if it’s the wrong bolt pattern, you could swap
you old shaft in or get a replacement set from someone like West Coast
Differential.

Walt