Re: RE: Mobil 1 Oil + Gas Prices On The Rise

From: Michael Maskalans (dml@tepidcola.com)
Date: Mon Mar 28 2005 - 21:31:13 EST

Gary Hedlin wrote:

> I dont care how you spin it, theres no substitute for changing oil on a
> regular basis.

correct, but there's no benefit to changing it too often. it's extra
cost and extra hassle that is justifiable for piece of mind and margin
of error and no other reason. when a good synth can last 10,000 miles
no problem it's plain silly to change it every 3.

> I put 170k on my 98 before shit hit the fan. I changed
> it every 3000, and it ran great. Hell, 99% of the time i used SuperTech
> 10w30. Oil gets dirty, thats a fact of life....so why piss money away
> on spin and propoganda???

IMO the spin and propoganda is "change every 3k no matter what!"

> Theres NO oil that can prevent contamination,
> so whats the difference between $0.79 oil and $5.79 oil. Dirt is the
> thing that causes oil to break down, right????

no, it isn't.
the filter is there for particulate contaminants, what causes oil to
break down is chemical reactions and souluble contaminants which are
both taken care of by additive packages in the oil, which are almost
entirely dependant on "how good" the oil is.

If you don't beleive a good synthetic can run for 5 digits, re-read the
test data from that Camaro oil test. Blackstone doesn't lie.

<http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/oil-life.html>

and by the way, this answers a wonderment I had:

--
MikeM