Re: Aluminum Repair

From: rwerning@wi.rr.com
Date: Mon Apr 04 2005 - 00:45:42 EDT

jCalder3@cfl.rr.com ("James Calder") writes:
> Does anyone have any experience with cast aluminum repair? I'm parting out
> my boat and broke a small corner off the gimbal housing. It's made out off
> what looks like cast aluminum (Mercruiser I-R Sterndrive if anyone is
> familiar with it). Can a welder fix something like that or is cast aluminum
> not repairable. I hate to throw it away, people sometimes get over 300 bux
> for these on ebay.

Been ages since I did it, but in another life (23 years ago) I was a welder by
trade. Yes, you can weld cast aluminum, you just need access to a tig welder
and someone who knows what they're doing with it. Cast can be a pain because
of the thickness, but if you just V and fill it, the repair will hold just
fine. I used to do some side work for a auto salvage yard and a 4wd repair
shop welding broken bellhousings and such.

Check around your area, I'm sure you can find someone who can do it - not sure
what they will soak you for the job though.

Hope this helps,
   RJ