Re: Re: Dak 05 v8 performance suggestions wanted

From: rwerning@wi.rr.com
Date: Mon Apr 04 2005 - 00:16:44 EDT

mikesykes@cox.net ("Mike Sykes") writes:
> .. one thing that keeps coming up in the ol' service department
> .. is "why does my gas mileage suck?"

It's about what I expected it to be, but with gas prices being what they are,
some improvement would pay for itself in short time - and with a performance
boost as a kicker, you can't go wrong. :)

> if you can keep your foot out of it.

Thats always the problem, now isn't it? Ease along for 1/2 tank, keeping the
mpg up in the 16+ range, then one day where you feel the urge to put that V8 to
the use it was intended, and it's back to the low 14 range.

> The exhaust on these trucks is a travesty and should be replaced with
> something less restrictive before you even get it home to show the wife.

I'll probably end up removing the rear resonator, but wish I knew someone
nearby who had done it already - I'd like to get an idea of what it does to cab
noise when its gone. Replacing the whole exhaust is going to have to wait a
bit - with 2 kids of driving age, I have 4 vehicles chewing away on the auto
repair budget.

> The one big obstical I've seen is the torque management. It doesn't want you
> to have any fun. Even if you put it in Tow/Haul mode, it's hard to torch the
> tires.

Lighting up the tires is low on my priority list, I've always felt that smoking
tires is wasted acceleration. I'd rather have the power propelling me forward,
instead of burning miles off the tread.