Re: Gas going up.... again.

From: Woodruff, Jason P (jason.p.woodruff@boeing.com)
Date: Tue Apr 05 2005 - 15:35:46 EDT

Altitude is one of those "octane raising equivilent" attributes (like cooler operating temp and colder air intake). So at sealevel 87 oct behaves the same as 85 at 5000ft. You'll usually only see 85 at altitude.
As for price... marketing/price fixing at work. Here in California a couple years back it was decided that 92oct was not being cost effective so they were going to make 91 instead. BUT, the prices stayed at about .10 between grades. We see 87regular, 89plus and 91super here. Little oil company magic there.

Oh, I was getting about 22mpg on my road trip in the 4.7L (normally 17). But I spent most of the time only going about 78mph (speedo is off and the cruise control maxes out). Geo gets a regular 47, Prius a 50, guess which one gets parked. ;-)
Jay W
505/287 Dakota
Combining the Gas price and Colorado discussions, I just spent a week
in CO on my honeymoon. Their octane levels were 85, 87, and 91. WTF?
I didn't even know it was produced on intervals other than 87, 89, and
93. Not only that, but their 85 octane stuff (rental car, so why
should I care) was $.15 more expensive than 87 (10% ethenol) here in
MO!
-Matt Brenneke
'04 CC SXT 3.7L V6 (getting about 18mi/gal)