Offroading during National DML Meet

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Tue Apr 05 2005 - 15:23:00 EDT

  Jason & I have been talking via e-mail about various mapping options
to use during the national meet, here's an interesting site I stumbled
across that I thought might be of interest to a number of DMLers:

   http://www.offroadguides.com/

  Basically, it is a repository of GPS tracks for many offroad routes
in Arizona, Utah and Colorado. Most of the ones for Colorado seem to
be in the Breckenridge area. The idea is you download these routes
into your GPS or mapping program, to take you to the area and navigate
the course. The web site has further information about each trail
and its difficulty.

  These are all free to download, although one catch is that they
are in Garmin MapSource format, which is a proprietary program.
However, I found a free program called GPSBabel
(http://gpsbabel.sourceforge.net/) which will convert this format into
many others, one of which will probably work for your software and/or
GPS. Just to try it out, I downloaded the "Boros Pass Road to
Pennsylvania Creek Trail" route, and was able to convert it in
GPSBabel into formats that loaded into my Delorme Topo USA program and
also EasyGPS. I didn't actually try to copy the route to my GPS
receiver, but since it loaded in the software OK, I don't anticipate
any problems there.

  Anyhoo, just wanted to let everyone know about that. If
anyne else comes up with any other resources, please let the
list know! :-)

--
                                          -Jon-

.-- Jon Steiger ---- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com --. | 1970 Barracuda - 1990 Dakota 'vert - 1992 Ram 4x4 - 1996 Dakota | | 1996 Intruder 1400 - 1996 Kolb FireFly - 2001 Ram QC 3500 CTD | `------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com --'