Re: 05 BBQ Convoy (was manual trans)

From: Walt@Walt-n-Ingrid.Com
Date: Wed Apr 06 2005 - 09:23:59 EDT

In article <4241F5CA.6040606@tepidcola.com>, dml@tepidcola.com (Michael
Maskalans) writes:

> Barry Oliver wrote:
> >
> > Andy Levy wrote:

> >> My '99 was...shall we say, far more stable than Tom's Ram at certain
> >> velocities (though still not as far up in the air).
> >>

> > My '99 is about as close to "josh stable" as any 4wd can be. [who'd have
> > ever thought those two words would be used togeather] Mike can attest
> > to how stable and smooth handling my truck is...
>
> Yup.
>
> I don't think anyone here can attest to the stability of mine at speed.
> Well, I suppose Anne could, but I think she's the only other lista to
> have ridden in it. Trust me, it has nothing to do with height.

The “BR” bodied Rams have a reputation for having stability issues at speed.
Especially the 4x4. Do a Google search for “Dodge Ram Death Wobble” and you’ll
find hundreds of hits on the topic. A common upgrade that’s discussed on many
of the Ram forums is to replace the track bar with an aftermarket unit by DT or
Therren. Also the factory shocks and steering stabilizer are usually junk
after the first 40k. I’ve also complained that my 1500 is too soft in the
nose. I can get it to bounce off the front bump stops just by rolling off a 6”
curb at idle.

Walt