Re: Offroading during National DML Meet

From: Walt@Walt-n-Ingrid.Com
Date: Wed Apr 06 2005 - 09:57:53 EDT

In article <d2uoik$onb$1@bent.twistedbits.net>, jon@dakota-truck.net writes:

> Jason & I have been talking via e-mail about various mapping options
> to use during the national meet, here's an interesting site I stumbled
> across that I thought might be of interest to a number of DMLers:
>
> http://www.offroadguides.com/
>
> Basically, it is a repository of GPS tracks for many offroad routes
> in Arizona, Utah and Colorado. Most of the ones for Colorado seem to
> be in the Breckenridge area. The idea is you download these routes
> into your GPS or mapping program, to take you to the area and navigate
> the course. The web site has further information about each trail
> and its difficulty.
>
> These are all free to download, although one catch is that they
> are in Garmin MapSource format, which is a proprietary program.
> However, I found a free program called GPSBabel
> (http://gpsbabel.sourceforge.net/) which will convert this format into
> many others, one of which will probably work for your software and/or
> GPS. Just to try it out, I downloaded the "Boros Pass Road to
> Pennsylvania Creek Trail" route, and was able to convert it in
> GPSBabel into formats that loaded into my Delorme Topo USA program and
> also EasyGPS. I didn't actually try to copy the route to my GPS
> receiver, but since it loaded in the software OK, I don't anticipate
> any problems there.
>
> Anyhoo, just wanted to let everyone know about that. If
> anyne else comes up with any other resources, please let the
> list know! :-)

I have the Garmin Mapsource software and checked out that link, there are a
number of trails in the Breckenridge, Colorado area that are rated
easy-moderate that look to be between 40 and 70 miles (as a crow flies) SW of
the Denver area. It would be very easy to spend not a BBQ day but a full day
there. BBQ days seem to be much shorter for some reason.

Walt