Re: Colorado campgrounds

From: Jason Bleazard (dml@bleazard.net)
Date: Sat Apr 09 2005 - 09:13:32 EDT

On April 9, 2005 01:26 am, sincityrt wrote:
> I haven't been following every single note so forgive me if some of this
> drifts off a bit or has already been repeated. I grew up in Denver and
> have some suggestions for places to see/do/etc. while you are there.

Much appreciated!

> If you host this event at any of the mountain towns you will
> virtually eliminate any ability for people to fly in instead of drive.
> There are various shuttles available from DIA (way out in the boonies NE of
> town) to the hotels on the west side of Denver, but in the summertime there
> aren't many shuttles up to the mountain towns.

I don't think this will be an issue. As far as I know, anyone who is thinking
of flying in is also planning on renting a vehicle. If someone does want to
fly in and *not* rent a car, I'm sure we can figure out a way to go get them
from the airport. We'll definitely have enough trucks available.

I think many people prefer to camp out while we're there. From what was
discussed last fall, it seems that the general consensus was to get a bunch
of spots at some campground, or a group camping area. For sure there will be
some people who stay at motels, but while they're not sleeping they can come
hang out around the fire with us at the campground.

Maybe I'm assuming too much? Seems like that's a good way to do it, but it's
modeled largely after the way we do things at the BBQ. Most people tent on
the property, and a few head back to their motels after they get tired of the
shenanigans. Plus camping is cheaper, and we can also save money on food by
stocking up on groceries and fixing some meals at the camp site, as well as
having a big group BBQ (which the first round of voting indicates would be a
highly popular activity).

I know my personal preference (and Norah's) is definitely to camp out, mostly
because parking our RV trailer in a motel parking lot doesn't sound like a
lot of fun :-).

Thanks for the other information, it's always good to hear from someone who
knows the area. We'd certainly appreciate any further insights you could
offer regarding places to go and things to see while we're there.