Re: Colorado campgrounds

From: sincityrt (sincityrt@dakota-durango.com)
Date: Sat Apr 09 2005 - 01:26:11 EDT

I haven't been following every single note so forgive me if some of this
drifts off a bit or has already been repeated. I grew up in Denver and have
some suggestions for places to see/do/etc. while you are there.

I would highly recommend holding most of your event in Denver on the west
side of town - there are plenty of hotels between 32nd ave and C-470 right
off of I-70. If you host this event at any of the mountain towns you will
virtually eliminate any ability for people to fly in instead of drive.
There are various shuttles available from DIA (way out in the boonies NE of
town) to the hotels on the west side of Denver, but in the summertime there
aren't many shuttles up to the mountain towns.

The only dragstrip worth mentioning is Bandimere Speedway, which is located
just south of where C-470 and I-70 meet on the west side of town, about 10
minutes from the suggested hotel areas. Unfortunately there is absolutely
no other businesses in the immediate vicinity of this facility, it's
literally built on the side of a large hill just off of the highway frontage
road.

On the other side of the hill from Bandimere (2 miles away tops) is Red Rock
Park, there are huge parking lots there. There is a huge parking lot at the
very top that would be the perfect spot for a car show - you can walk a
couple of hundred feet and you're at the top of the Ampitheatre there which
overlooks all of Denver. The views are absolutely breathtaking here, and it
is by far the most awesome place to see a concert in the world. This is
where U2's Sunday Bloody Sunday video was filmed, I have many fond memories
of concerts here.

There is a ton of light trails and small/medium-sized campgrounds right off
of I-70 and US285 just outside of Denver, and I-70 certainly gives you quick
access if the 4x4 guys want to cruise deeper into the mountains and make a
day out of a difficult trail or two.

- Steve
http://www.dakota-durango.com