Re: GPS system

From: Walt@Walt-n-Ingrid.Com
Date: Sat Apr 09 2005 - 21:08:51 EDT

In article <d36is6$mv1$1@bent.twistedbits.net>, rwerning@wi.rr.com writes:

> What sort of GPS systems do you all use for your Dak's? Debating picking one
> up, but would actually have more use for a hand held one I could take on my
> backpacking trips than a vehicle mounted one.
>
> Thanks,
> - RJ

I'm using a Garmin etrex Legend handheld with the Garmin mapsource software on
my laptop. I have a dash mount in all three trucks and when on long trips, the
12V Y cable I have plugs into the cigarette lighter, the GPS and the laptop
serial port simultaneously so I can use the laptop as a large color display. I
also have the handle bar mount to use the GPS on my mountain bike. I bought it
at Target last year for $100 for the GPS and another $100 for the software.
The 12V Y cable I got on eBay for $15. It works great.

Walt