Re: GPS system

From: Michael Maskalans (dml@tepidcola.com)
Date: Tue Apr 12 2005 - 00:00:47 EDT

rwerning@wi.rr.com wrote:
> What sort of GPS systems do you all use for your Dak's? Debating picking one
> up, but would actually have more use for a hand held one I could take on my
> backpacking trips than a vehicle mounted one.
>
> Thanks,
> - RJ

I run a Garmin GPS V. Couple years out of date, but I love how
thourough the basemap is. I don't love the non-expandible 19MB of
memory for detailed maps or the transfer speed for detail maps, but it
gets the job done very well. It's a smallish B&W screen so it's
certainly showing its age in the display department, but the interface
works well both on-dash and handheld. I'd definitely replace it with
something similar.

it's good enough at routing that I haven't used it as a laptop input.
If I was going for something laptop-based I'd be looking at a Rayming
TripNav GPS unit (I think I'm recalling the name properly). It's just a
straight GPS reciver with a USB cable (or with batteries and a bluetooth
output) and would rock the house for an onboard install.

--
MikeM
red '98 CC SAS Dak