RE: RE: OT: Visitors in the night

From: Walt@Walt-n-Ingrid.Com
Date: Mon Apr 11 2005 - 12:28:37 EDT

In article <BAY19-F30FA7DFB175F35B6E42859C3320@phx.gbl>,
scsilverdakdml@hotmail.com ("Ronald Taylor") writes:

> They are looking for Food!........it's just a matter of time before they get
> bold enough to start searching a little harder!
>
> I'd contact the wildlife and game commission service asap!.........they can
> relocate the Bears!

Yea, I called the game warden but they had wandered off long before he got
here. I noticed both bears had tags on their ears so they’ve been caught
before. Unfortunately, when they capture animals like that, this is the area
they usually release them in if they need to relocate them. I live in the NW
hills of Connecticut and I’m surrounded by several state forests totaling about
20,000 acres with a couple of small towns/villages and roads mixed in between.
To my south is American Legion State Forest at 1000-acres that adjoins the
3,000-acre Peoples State Forest. To the SE of them, just on the other side of
the small town of New Hartford is Nepaug State Forest. To our north, just
across the road from our driveway, there is Tunxis State Forest, which spans up
into MA. Tunxis is also adjoining Tolland State and Granville State Forests.
There are also a couple of large watershed areas controlled by MDC within a
couple of miles in either direction to our east and west. According to the MDC
website, they own approximately 30,000 acres of watershed and non-watershed
property in Connecticut and Massachusetts, most of which is in this area.
Barkhamstead Reservoir, to the east, is Connecticut’s largest drinking water
reservoir that feeds into the 446-acre Lake McDonough, a smaller recreational
reservoir below Saville Dam with a second dam below it down near Nepaug State
Forest and New Hartford. To the South of Nepaug, across Rt. 202 from it there
is yet another reservoir. To my west there is the Colebrook River Dam and
Lake, which feeds into the West Branch Reservoir and the Goodwin Hydroelectric
dam which is only a mile or two down the road from the end of my driveway.
This is the most rural area of the state so I’m not surprised to see bears
though I am amazed we have indoor plumbing out here. I often joke that our town
is so small, the volunteer Fire Dept. has a Dominos sign on the truck so they
can drive it once in a while. It’s parked right out in front of the General
Store/Post Office/Luncheonette.

If they come back, I’ll give the game warden another call.

Walt