Re: BBQ Videos

From: Walt@Walt-n-Ingrid.Com
Date: Wed Apr 13 2005 - 17:38:48 EDT

In article <b26be6d905041313152b63809d@mail.gmail.com>, andy.levy@gmail.com
(Andy Levy) writes:

> On 4/13/05, Walt@walt-n-ingrid.com <Walt@walt-n-ingrid.com> wrote:
> >
> > In article <d3jks9$1q4$1@bent.twistedbits.net>, billday@otecom.net (Bill
Day)
> > writes:
> > >

> > > Walt,
> > > Anyway you can put a link/url next to the picture, I cannot seem
> > right click
> > > and "save as" and they don't seem to want to stream with my "Konqueror"
or
> > > "Mozilla" browsers(Debian Linux and KDE). That or possibly and index
page
> > with
> > > descriptions, vs. linked images?
> > >
> > > Bill
> > >

> > Yea, that's my fault. I forgot I used my default .html template which
disables
> > right click.
>
> My browser ignores those.

Yea, I know but it's just there to keep the AOL users from swiping stuff.

OK, so here's what happened. I totally FUBARed my site for a little while but I
got the problem corrected now. At one time I had configured size quotas on
each of the root folders for each site I host on that server. Last night, I
kicked of a backup job the backed up the entire public_html folder to a single
.tar file in the folder’s root but what happened was the backup file caused the
website's folder to exceed the quota. Because the folder was over quota, when
I tried to edit the video.html file earlier to remove the no right click
javascript, it allowed me to open it but then zeroed out the file when I went
to save it. It also prevented me from re-uploading the backup copy or any new
files. OK, so now I got that corrected.

Responding to Jon’s post:
  A couple of years ago, while walking through the software section at Sears, I
came across this little USB capture device called a Dazzle DVC80. It was cheap
and I wanted to experiment with video on my website so I bought it, brought it
home and set the box on the shelf above my desk. Fast-forward a few years, I’m
in a new house, your video arrives in the mail and while watching it I notice
the unopened Dazzle box sitting on the shelf above my new desk. As you can see,
it wasn’t high on the list. Anyhow, I figured I give it a shot. For a cheap
little piece of junk, it actually doesn’t work half bad. The largest it’ll
capture is 320x240 but that’s fine for my online video clips. It captures in
RAW AVI and renders in a half dozen formats, AVI, MOV, RM, MPEG 1,2 & 4 and a
few others. Specifically, the Dazzle came bundled with MGI Videowave 4. After
capturing the clips, I tried to render them in the various formats but it
seemed like MPEG1 had the smallest file size and still had decent quality. The
quicktime files had great quality but were nearly 10 times the size of the
.MPEG version. But even saved as MPEG1, the file sizes really aren’t ideal
for streaming off a webpage. I noticed that .WMV files seem to stream fairly
well when on another site so I tried to find an encoder to save in that format
for the MGI software bundled with the Dazzle. But it appears Dazzle was sold
some time back and is now bundled with something else. Plus, the model I have
has been discontinued. I thought about DivX but want the files to be in a
format most Windows PC would have without requiring the user to download a
special codec, which sent me back to .WMV. After your email earlier, I was
looking again and I came across a shareware MPG to ASF conversion utility
called “All Video Converter”. Figured I would give it a shot and it doesn’t
seem to work half bad. The image is a hint softer but the file sizes were cut
by more than half and it will stream online. I’m happy enough with it, I plan
on registering it.

In regards to the audio, I played with the settings while capturing and
rendering, and it seemed to get muddy if I dropped them any lower than what I
have them set to now. It is configured to compress the audio, but if I dropped
the bit rate or the kHz any lower, it sounded like you were holding tin cans
over your ears. I figured I was getting good compression and the clips look
good while playing them from my local drive. I just wanted them to work better
streaming from the webpage. In MPEG, they were chunking pretty bad from the
site.

So now the video.html page is restored and the clips are in .ASF format. I'm
happy with how they came out now so I'll play with the other scenes on the tape
when I get a chance.

Walt