Re: BBQ Videos

From: Michael Maskalans (dml@tepidcola.com)
Date: Thu Apr 14 2005 - 00:49:17 EDT

Walt@Walt-n-Ingrid.Com wrote:

> I'm still working
> on finding a decent .mpg to .wmv converter because the file sizes are coming
> out larger than I would like and don't seem to stream well. This is really my
> first attempt at playing with video so I'm still trying to figure it out. I'm
> hoping that if I can convert them to .WMV I can get the file sizes down some
> and they'll stream better.

open standards are our friends, Walt!

the size of a WMV vs an MPEG won't be too different if a similar codec
is used. it's all about selecting your framerates, how good your
compressor is at keyframing (that's what Jon's "chunking" problem is
related to) in the right spots and selecting your bitrate.

I haven't looked at what you've done and probably won't 'till tomorrow
night, but I'm sure I can give you some good pointers.

For the quality of video I look for on the web, I usually just use
Sorenson. The CoDec is installed by default in almost every player and
the free version does an okay job at compression. DivX is overkill for
things that aren't movies in most cases. But my opinion could change
depending on how file sizes work out once I get around to playing with it.

--
Mike