Thinking about inspecting my rear gear

From: Dan Kramarsky (dkramarsky68@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Apr 18 2005 - 17:29:43 EDT

hi all,

can anyone spend a second or two and anwswer some questions on opening the rear gear and
inspecting it?

reason for doing it: I need to locate where the vibration is coming from in the rear of
truck. vibration only happens at 80 to 90mph. ( vibration is like low pitched hum and
follows the speed of the wheels so i think its rear diff or wheel bearing. wheel
bearings was service 2 years ago but the rear diff has never been service in the life of
truck. ~13 years )

do i need to replace the old gasket? (Yes or No)

Do I need a drain pan? (Yes or No)

do i need any special wrenches? (Yes or No)

how do i fill it with gear oil again?

What gear oil should be used?

I was just going to look for any chipped or cracked teeth in the gears. how does one
check for "play" in the gears?

this is a non-LSD type differential.

thanks!!!

Dan K.
'92 Grey Dak CC, 318, 4x2, 46RH, 3.92 rear, 235/75R15, PS, PW, PB, PL, AC.

Mods: Trans-Go, APS Precision's 2400 stall, cool air induction, K&N oil & air filter, Autolite 3924s, & re-located IAT.

Future: 180* stat, MP PCM ( when Premium gas gets cheaper )

Yahoo! Mail Mobile
http://mobile.yahoo.com/learn/mail