re:RE: Re: Rear end bench mechanics

From: victor.williams@byers.com
Date: Tue Apr 26 2005 - 18:32:55 EDT

I changed mine. The pinion bearing had started to whine and when it was
taken apart we saw that the carrier was cracked. I put in an Auburn lsd
unit and Precision Gear ring and pinion set about 10k miles ago. I don't
like it. The gears whined from the beginning. Last month I had to replace
one carrier bearing and I've watched the gear oil start to get metal
particles in it after a few hundred miles. The material is black just like
the Auburn housing material. I'm going back to a sure-grip and mopar
gears. I don't race but I do drive it.
I had around 290,000 miles on the original diff so I'd say it was made
pretty well. Plenty of miles towing a 5000# travel trailer.

Victor Williams
Marietta Ga
1995 CC Sport 2wd,5.9l,5sp,3.55LSD,MP sp intake,Flowkooler,
Jardine catback,Flowmaster 70,CarSound Cat,Tow pkg,207rwhp,285rwtq -
300,200 miles on truck..