Re: A little DAK content, Plus some OT

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@aol.com)
Date: Thu Apr 28 2005 - 22:56:29 EDT

Bill Day wrote:
> Got my truck back a few days ago, seems that the larger timing gear had damn
> near had all the teeth chewed off. The chain seemed fine but he went ahead and
> replaced it anyway Lower sprocket looked great but was replaced anyway. As
> for that larger timing gear, I have never seen a steel gear wear out like that?
> Is this an indication of something more severe or should I not be concerned at
> all? Anyway truck was in for 2 days, ran me about $330 from a local mechanic
> in Martinsville. Didn't even bother with the local stealers, especially for as
> much as they have ripped me according to local mechanics.
>
> The OT content:
>
> Kinda wondering, since I switched from the mailing list to the newsgroup, why
> the messages don't seem to thread properly? They never threaded on the mailing
> list using lookout or kmail and only partially thread suing knode. Any tips,
> ideas or suggestions on this? Does it have something to do with the headers
> being altered by each type of mail/news reader programs out there?
>
> L8r, off to dirty the DAK before work since it's raining...

Hi Bill - Anytime you are going to service any part of the timing set up
- always replace everything. The chain and two sprockets wear with
eachother. To replace only one or two parts is about the same as
changing your distrib cap and not your rotor. So ya did the right thing.

Also - if the sprocket was that worn out - change your oil if you havn't
already! That metal went right into your oil!

****** COUNTDOWN TO 2005 DML BBQ *89* DAYS LEFT! ******
*Caution* Terrible Tom may suddenly accelerate to dangerous speeds. What
pond?
AIM & Yahoo: SilverEightynine - http://members.aol.com/silvereightynine/