Re: RE: PLEASE HELP! TRANNY SLIPS IN 1st GEAR WHEN 'COLD'

From: TerribleTom (SilverEightynine@aol.com)
Date: Fri Apr 29 2005 - 22:50:29 EDT

Bernd D. Ratsch wrote:

> Governor Pressure Solenoid/Transducer, TQ Converter Clutch Circuit (aka:
> Solenoid Pack), bad TQ Converter.
>
> Since it's only at 20K miles (granted...at the 3-year mark), check with the
> local dealerships for warranty repair.
>
> - Bernd
>

> Vehicle: 2002 Dakota 4x2 3.9L V6 4spd Auto (42RE) 20,000 easy miles (no
> towing)Normal fluid levels, no leaks.
>
> Anyone experienced this/knows what the fix is?
>
> Problem: First drive of the day: Starting out in drive, the engine rpm will
> skyrocket and it just slips in 1st, won't shift up. Can barely crawl along
> at 2MPH for about 10 blocks, then magically all works normally, shifts fine,
> drives great the rest of the day!
>
> This is MADDENINGLY intermittant,(ever since it was new), can happen on hot
> days or cold, usually once every 3-6 times I drive the beast...as I said,
> once it warms up all is well the rest of the day. The only variable I have
> been able to notice: it SEEMS to be more likely to happen if the nose of the
> truck sits on a higher incline overnight (tho it has happened after sitting
> on the
> level...) Dodge dealers given me runaround, could never duplicate it so to
> them it never existed. Some even say it's normal, somehow I doubt that.
>
> Hate to wait until the tranny goes really bad at the worst time...

Bernd's advice sounds about right...

*Insert random complaint/vulgar comment re: A-500/42RE transmission *

********** COUNTDOWN TO 2005 DML BBQ *88* DAYS LEFT! **********
*Caution* Terrible Tom may suddenly accelerate to dangerous speeds. What
pond?
AIM & Yahoo: SilverEightynine - http://members.aol.com/silvereightynine/