'99 Dakota running like ka-ka

From: Joseph Orsini (joeman@gbonline.com)
Date: Mon May 09 2005 - 16:36:56 EDT

Hey Guys,

        Just joined the list and am having problems with my '99. 5.2, 5spd, reg
cab, short box no A/C. Anyway it will not pull hard and absolutely will not
rev good over 3k under load. First off that cat is shot and needs to be
replaced, but I don't know if that could be causing these problems. I canot
get it to spit trouble codes at me, I tried what was listed on the web site
but all it does is say CHEC then lights up the trip display then makes what
looks like a little ball rolling from right to left, never saying any codes.
At first I thought it could be ignition related as it almost feels like it
is not firing on a cyclinder or two, I replaced the plugs, wires, cap,
rotor, and coil. no better. I can also hear a sucking sound over the
rattling cat when I drive it, almost sounds like a blow off valve on a turbo
or something when you up shift. After changing the ignition stuff I drove
it and it felt the same except the one time I got on her hard in third she
pulled sluggish then for about 500 RPM (maybe 300-3500) she kicked in and
pulled like normal, but then back to sluggish, I could not get it to repeat
that again. The old ignition parts were all less than a year old and all
looked good, plugs loked like they were normal, will have to check them
again but looked good. I have no idea what the truck is doing but now the
check engine light flashes at me every once in a awhile and I don't know
what to check next, spark seems good, maybe fuel delivery? I Should get the
cat replaced next week along with the o2 sensor, maybe that will help...

        Any suggestions on an affordable cat? The local carquest was around $280,
looked at summit but they did't have one listed for Dakota's with the 8.

Thanks,

-Joe