RE: 1.5 rockers and MPG

From: Travis Bailey (dusterrt@msn.com)
Date: Sat May 14 2005 - 14:33:31 EDT

>Quintin wrote:
> > I am still on a quest for better mileage for my 92 Dak V6 CC. The
>underdrive
> > pulley and flexi fan improved MPG about 2 points. After reading the
>article
> > here: http://www.vetteweb.com/tech/0204vet_rockers/ I am wondering if I
> > should swap the stock 1.6's out for 1.5's. The article implies that I
>could
> > actually gain torque, with a sacrifice to upper rpm power. I can live
>with
> > that, I don't race the thing, I just drive it. And before someone
>suggests
> > that I buy a Neon, I am looking to modify my 'paid for' truck, not pay
>for
> > something else. Any thoughts?
> >

>Buy a neon

I just bought a neon actually. 35+ mpg is awesome once you've gotten used
to feeding your truck, let me tell you! It's kind of humbling going from a
mean looking/sounding 4x4 pickup to what most label a girl's car, but I am
starting to get over that one tank of gas at a time.

Honestly, there is not a lot that you can do, really. You'll wind up
spending thousands of dollars to get that extra MPG. I've come to the
conclusion that if you want good milage, you're going to have to steer away
from trucks. On a related note, when I installed the electric fan, I saw no
significant gain in mileage. I installed the fan due to the body lift
putting the fan uncomfortably close to tranny cooler lines. Others have,
every truck responds differently, I would suppose a 2wd truck may respond
more to things like that.

The single best thing I did to my Dakota when I was in your spot some time
ago was slowing down on the highway. Also, drive like you're 90 years old
and you'll probably pick up another point or two.

My suggestion would be to change your driving habits if you're a freeway
flyer or do a lot of jackrabbit starts at lights and such. I'm under the
assumption you keep it in good tune; but old plugs and nasty caps and rotors
can cost you a point or two. Next would be a bed cover, they aren't too
terribly expensive if you're not looking for top of the line, they do
generally seem to be good for a MPG or two. After that, I would try
lowering if that isn't objectional to you or how you use your truck. After
that the costs are going to start outweighing the benefits and you might as
well just pick up a neon. :-)

I would be very curious to see if there was a measurable increase in milage
if one did remove their rear view mirrors and install a more aerodynamic
bumper (or a rollpan). Technically it should help, but I really doubt the
difference would be noticable..or worth the inconvenience of not having
mirrors, lol.

Travis
'98 Neon R/T Coupe
'92 Dakota 5.2 4x4 (For Sale)