RE: 1.5 rockers and MPG

From: Ray Block (bpracing@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Sun May 15 2005 - 02:01:04 EDT

Those are all stud mount rockers. Until you install a conversion kit, you
have no studs.

As for "mods", I'm not aware of a magic bullet that will suddenly get you
great mileage. Dodge did make some changes, around '94 I believe, to
increase low end torque in the 3.9 and 5.2 engines. For example, they
changed the cam profile and used a smaller diameter exhaust system. These
changes cost some horsepower but gained a small amount of torque. It
wouldn't be cost effective to change yours to those parts.

I know of a few things you could change (depending on how yours is equipped
and how/where you drive....such as rear end gearing) that could get you a
small mileage improvement but they're not cost effective. Your underdrive
pulleys and fan, though, were a cost effective mod! Congrats on that.

> am just a 40 year old guy, not a 20 something racer wannabe. Not that
> there
> is anything wrong with that, it's just not my style. I'm too old for that
> stuff.

Sorry to hear you're too old for "that stuff" but to me you're just a kid.
;-) I'm 61 and have been racing for more years than you've been alive.
Apparently you didn't look at my drag-truk link. ?

> I don't really think I need to do anything with the exhaust as I am not
> seeking to hot rod it.

Hmmm, a misconception methinks. Back in the '70s/'80s when my parents had
V8 cars and traveled frequently between FL and OH...they found that
converting their cars to dual exhaust gained them, on average, about 3 mpg.
They weren't what one would call hot rodders. Well ok, maybe my mother was
but at age 85 she's beginning to slow down a little. :-)

It's all about efficiency Quintin. Less restriction getting the air in and
the exhaust out results in better efficiency. Same principle as your UD
pulleys....less strain on the engine.

The correct choice of mods typically results in a much more efficient
combination than the factory offered, often resulting in better mileage
along with higher performance. Before my current gear and torque
converter selections, I used to average 22 mpg at highway speeds with 400
pounds of racing gear in the bed. I'm down to 20 mpg now but the trade off
was worth it to me for the improved performance on the track. After all,
it's not my daily driver.

> My brakes can increase the economy? Please post what you know here, I
> promise to read every word.

Not only your brakes, but also your tires. Few people seem to be aware of
this but the same size tire, from different manufacturers, can weigh several
pounds more or less. Wheel weight is also a variable. Less weight,
better mileage (and performance)!

As for brakes, any unnecessary drag will hurt your mileage (as well as
performance). Be sure the rear drums are properly adjusted. If the auto
adjuster is working they probably are, but you can make sure by cleaning
everything and lubing the adjuster threads with a little anti-seize. Also
apply a little anti-seize at each spot where the shoes contact the backing
plate. Disconnect the parking brake cable at it's adjuster and pull the
cables out as far as possible at the rear. Lube them with anti-seize and
pull them back and forth until you have lubed every bit of them that makes
contact with something else. You want to be sure it doesn't ever hang up
after using it, yet have it adjusted so it works.

On the front calipers, lube the adapter (with a THIN film of anti-seize)
wherever the pad ears make contact so they will retract easily (quickly) for
less drag. Use a thin film of silicone grease on the guide pins. If you
ever change wheel bearing grease use synthetic.

Like the other tips I gave you...it's just a whole lot of little details
that can make a big difference in mileage (and performance). Not
glamorous, but they work.

I may be a "racer" but on the street I strive for the best mileage I can
get.

Ray Block
1992 Dakota Sport, RC, 2WD, 5.2L
See Drag-Truk link for mods...