Re: RE: Change axle fluid?

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Wed May 18 2005 - 10:24:06 EDT

korey99@yahoo.com wrote:

: Thanks guys - I'll check with the dealership about what fluids are required.
: I'm guessing since Tom recommended RTV that there aren't drain plugs so I'll
: have to pull the cover. The dealership couldn't tell me what fluid I needed
: since I didn't know offhand whether I had the 8.25 or 9.25 rear end. It's an
: open diff though. I'll probably strike a balance somewhere around a 24k
: interval, but do the first change here at 12k. If the fluid looks bad, it
: turns out to be a cheap/easy job, or if we get that popup trailer (hey, that
: would be cool for the national meet) we're lusting after then I'll go with 12k
: interval. FWIW I am following and do plan to follow schedule B regardless for
: the other maintenance items, but the difference between A and B I had a hard
: time swallowing without a little explanation.

    Something that you could do, as an insurance policy, is to
purchase the fluid and RTV now, write something like "12,000 mile
diff fluid change" on it, and tuck it away somewhere. Save the fluid
and RTV to use for your 24k change. If something happens where you
need to get warranty work done in the meantime, you've got your
dated "documentation" that schedule B was followed. Granted, that's
a bit sneaky and underhanded, but so is telling a customer that
warranty service will be denied if they follow schedule A.

   As far as the 8.25 versus 9.25 goes, its easy to tell by sticking
your head under the truck. I don't recall the bolt count offhand,
but the 8.25 is oval shaped whereas the 9.25 is diamond shaped. It
may also be written on a sticker in your glovebox or under the hood.

--
                                          -Jon-

.-- Jon Steiger ---- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com --. | 1970 Barracuda - 1990 Dakota 'vert - 1992 Ram 4x4 - 1996 Dakota | | 1996 Intruder 1400 - 1996 Kolb FireFly - 2001 Ram QC 3500 CTD | `------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com --'