Re: 3.9 Install

From: TerribleTom (SilverEightynine@aol.com)
Date: Wed Jun 01 2005 - 14:03:44 EDT

James Calder wrote:
> I will be installing my friends 3.9 this weekend and would like some
> opinions on the process. I have it down to the following choices:
>
> 1. Remove drive shaft, slide tranny back, install complete engine, slide
> tranny back up to engine.
>
> 2. Keep drive shaft on, install complete engine trying to line up motor
> mounts and the pins that stick out the bell housing and go into the block.
>
> 3. Same as above but install short block and bolt everything else up after
> it's bolted to the tranny and mounts (it may be much easier to line up the
> bell housing pins like this).
>
> It seems like #2 would be most difficult. I have limited maneuverability
> with the hoist (no load leveler). #1 sounds right.
>
> Any hints, tips, suggestions are appreciated!
>
> Thanks,
> James

You didn't say if this was a 2wd or a 4x4 truck. Either way - you are
going to have to at least support the transmission with a stand. If you
are going to do it that way - be sure to use something to protect the
trans pan from your jack or stand. A flat peice of thick plywood is
best - the pan is the weakest part of the tranny case. YOu don't want
to puncture or crush it.

Personally - since I've done this more than once now heh - I would leave
the tranny bolted in place and leave the drive shaft attatched. 4x4's
have a removable crossmember - while its a pain in the ass to unbolt and
lower and then replace, the 2wd truck does not have a removable
crossmember - mwking it much more interesting to remove. At least I did
not notice if the crossmember was removable or not... I never bothered
to look close enough. I don't think it was because I wouldn't have slid
the trans out the way I did if I could have unbolted it instead.

I would also assemble the engine out of the truck and then drop the
assembly in as a whole. Minus the drive accessories obviously...(alt,
power steering pump etc) You can attatch the hoist chain to the front
and back of the heads using a 1/2 inch coarse thread grade 8 bolt with a
9/16ths hex head - ask me how I know that bolt size so well...

Best thing I can tell you is to have someone else help if possible. Two
people can line up and position an engine a lot easier than one person
can - also - don't be afraid to take the hood off - if you have a Gen
III - I would count on taking it off - makes it so much easier.

********** COUNTDOWN TO 2005 DML BBQ *55* DAYS LEFT! **********
*Caution* Terrible Tom may suddenly accelerate to dangerous speeds. What
pond?
AIM & Yahoo: SilverEightynine - http://members.aol.com/silvereightynine/