Re: Drive Shaft Angle Correction

From: Woodruff, Jason P (jason.p.woodruff@boeing.com)
Date: Tue Jun 07 2005 - 17:38:05 EDT

It's a RC, 5-speed. There's a lot of noises coming from the truck (intake is pretty loud, and the throaty exhust turns down before the axel) so I'm not sure if I can isolate differential noise.

I don't know exactly how low I'm currently at, so I need to find some stock height numbers to figure out the total drop. But the RC is 13" shorter than the CC wheel base. So I'm thinking the drive shaft is about that much shorter. Hmm, I'll do some trig and get a good base line.

Jay W
505/287 Dakota
RC or CC?
to be honest, I wouldn't correct it unless it needed correcting. It'll make
a droaning sound if the pinion angle is off. Depending on the severity of
the droaning you can esaily figure how to correct it. If you can hear the
droaning but can't feel it, 2 degrees will fix it. If you can feel it, but
not a whole lot, 4 degrees. If it feels like the driveshaft is gonna' make a
lane change without you, 6 degrees. Id ropped my last truck 5" before I
needed any correction, and it only needed 2 degrees.
One thing to remember, the shorter the driveshaft, the more severe the
pinion angle will change, the more correction you'll need. RC will ne more
correction with less drop than a CC or longbox.
-miggity

Is there any black magic in correcting the pinion angle when lowering the rear?
I'm about 2" down now using modified hotchkis leafs and a couple thin lowering plates, but want to go another 1 to 1.5" with the plates. Can I just measure out the angle difference and cut one of the plates at an angle to correct the differential's angle to the shaft?
Can someone give me a rear stock height measurement of a Gen III manual 2wd standard cab. Something like static axel to frame distance would be best, but ground to body will work if you send the tire size as well.
Jay W
505/287 Dakota