Re: I need bigger mirrors

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Sun Jun 12 2005 - 21:27:43 EDT

korey99@yahoo.com wrote:
: Hey all-

: First off, thanks to everyone who helped with information for my brake
: controller install. The install went great, the brakes works well, and end
: result isn't an embarassment.

  Glad to hear it! :-)

: My next problem is mirrors. My trailer is 84" wide, and my little 5x7 side
: mirrors are only 78" at the widest point. My visibility isn't too good while
: enroute, and pretty bad backing into a campsite (especially on my blind side).

: I figure I have a few options. First is those mirrors that clip onto the
: factory mirrors, but I've heard that vibrate a lot and fall off. Anyone have
: any that work well? Most are pretty cheap though, and I can also take them off
: when I'm not towing.

   I've used those on my '96 Dak - clipped them onto the factory 6x9 mirrors.
I stuffed some foam between the back of the factory mirror and the clip-on
mirror, and they worked pretty well for me.

: Second would be some aftermarket replacement mirrors. Those are way
: expensive, and mostly only available for the full size trucks.

: Third would be to swap them for the factory 6x9 mirrors. A couple of
: concerns about that though. Does anyone know how wide those are, meaning
: measuring from the outside of one mirror to the outside of the other mirror?
: My dad's Durango had the 6x9's, and I didn't find them too obstrusive for
: everyday driving. If they aren't as wide as I want them to be, they won't help
: me though. Also, I don't currently have power mirrors, so I'm guessing I'd
: have to run the wiring, install the controls, etc. Power isn't important to
: me, but if I understand correctly the 6x9's are only available in power.

  I do have the 6x9s on my '96 but that probably won't help you much, I
believe the GenIII is wider. I think the mirror design is different anyway.
Regarding swapping to the 6x9s, I have a feeling that they probably won't
do very much for you. My trailer is a bit wider than yours at at 94", but
even with 5 inches less on each side I think I'd still need the towing
mirrors. Even when I'm pulling the trailer with my 3500 Ram, I need to flip
down the towing mirrors to see around it properly.

  There is a fourth option which is add-on towing mirrors. I'm not sure
what the official name for these things is, but basically they clip into
the window sills, have a pad which rests against the door skin, and I
believe they have tie downs that grip the bottom of the door somewhere.
They sort've look like the kind of mirrors you might see on a bus or an RV.
I know that Jason & Norah use these for their camper trailer with their
quad cab. (Actually, they bought them from Ed M. who used them with his
camper trailer and quad cab before that.) Unfortunately I don't know too
much more about them as far as ease of use, effectiveness, price, etc.
goes, so maybe somebody more knowledgeable will chime in. Definitely
something to check into though.

--
                                          -Jon-

.-- Jon Steiger ---- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com --. | 1970 Barracuda - 1990 Dakota 'vert - 1992 Ram 4x4 - 1996 Dakota | | 1996 Intruder 1400 - 1996 Kolb FireFly - 2001 Ram QC 3500 CTD | `------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com --'