Re: I need bigger mirrors

From: korey99@yahoo.com
Date: Sun Jun 12 2005 - 22:06:18 EDT

In article <d8inef$mff$1@bent.twistedbits.net>, jon@dakota-truck.net writes:
> First is those mirrors that clip onto the
> : factory mirrors, but I've heard that vibrate a lot and fall off. Anyone
have
> : any that work well? Most are pretty cheap though, and I can also take them
off
> : when I'm not towing.
>

> I've used those on my '96 Dak - clipped them onto the factory 6x9 mirrors.
> I stuffed some foam between the back of the factory mirror and the clip-on
> mirror, and they worked pretty well for me.

It's unfortunate- most of the fitted "slide-on" style mirrors (i.e. CIPA) only
fit on the 6x9 mirrors. I'm going to look around for some of the clip-on type
locally to see if they'll let me test fit. The 5x7 mirrors are shaped a little
odd for that style.

> There is a fourth option which is add-on towing mirrors. I'm not sure
> what the official name for these things is, but basically they clip into
> the window sills, have a pad which rests against the door skin, and I
> believe they have tie downs that grip the bottom of the door somewhere.
> They sort've look like the kind of mirrors you might see on a bus or an RV.
> I know that Jason & Norah use these for their camper trailer with their
> quad cab. (Actually, they bought them from Ed M. who used them with his
> camper trailer and quad cab before that.) Unfortunately I don't know too
> much more about them as far as ease of use, effectiveness, price, etc.
> goes, so maybe somebody more knowledgeable will chime in. Definitely
> something to check into though.

That's true. I'd seen those but neglected to mention them. I am a little bit
worried about them messing up my paint, but folks on usenet seem to love the
McKesh mirrors, as you describe. http://www.hensleymfg.com/mckeshmirrors.html
They actually aren't terribly expensive either. They're plenty wide, which is
what I need - certainly good for pulling a 102" wide 5th wheel, but I guess
there's nothing wrong with overkill!

Thanks,
Korey