Re: air conditioner clutch intermittent

From: Peter Grace (pgrace@fierymoon.com)
Date: Mon Jun 13 2005 - 15:56:27 EDT

andy.cole@lmco.com wrote:
| 1999 SLT 3.9L, Sanden 4692 A/C compressor.
|
| Clutch picks up normally when cold but when turned or cycled off at
operating
| temerature the clutch will not re-engage even though there is 12 vdc
at the
| clutch field coil wires.Clutch field coil reads 3.7 ohms all of the time,
| working or not. No excessive noise or heat noticed during operation,
only the
| normal "clack" when the clutch does engage. A/C works great when the
clutch
| engages. Any ideas?

I'm having a similar problem on my 1997 3.9L -- All I know is that the
AC gets nice and cool for a while, then after a few minutes of driving
it starts spitting out hot air. I looked at it in the driveway and it
seemed that even if the A/C was turned on, the clutch was not engaged.
Could this mean I need to replace the compressor? If so, how much moolah?

I topped it off with leak sealer/oil and a can of R134a, it seemed as
though it has a slow leak somewhere that I've been trying to fix for the
last few summers. More or less it's been me just buying new cans of
R134a straight to top off with.

The current pressure with the compressor disengaged is in the red zone
of the gauge (I think the reading is somewhere like 110psi) but once the
ac kicks on, the pressure is mid-yellow on the gauge.

Thanks,
Pete