Re: new LX car released... prayers answered!

From: TerribleTom (SilverEightynine@aol.com)
Date: Mon Jun 13 2005 - 21:32:21 EDT

Olznut@aol.com wrote:
> In a message dated 6/13/2005 5:02:14 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
> gcouriel@bellsouth.net writes:
>
> actually, i think you are right. DC did get the ball rolling on the whole
> retro theme... but wrong car. the correct car was the Plymouth Prowler.
>
> Gabriel A. Couriel
>

> Actually, go back a little further, the Viper. Cobra inspired, designed
> partially by The Man himself had a hand in it, 'Ol Shel himself.
>
> Ed "Olznut" Halterman Sunland, Ca '03 Ram Laramie 2500 Quad Cab 4x4 Long Bed
> HEMI "Big Red" '66 Olds F-85 330 V-8, Intense Blue "Project Olds" Will Be
> Finished Soon.......

Technically you may be right, but Viper and Prowler are not quite the
"trend set'ers" that we're talking about. Proqler and Viper both were
built and marketed for a niche consumer market. And neither were
ressurections of old name plates. The PT Cruiser did not touch off the
Retro trend. The New VW Beetle did. PT Crusier came out in 2001 I
believe. The Beetle has been in US prodution since 1998.

Beetle, Thunderbird, GTO, Mustang, Charger... are examples of what
others are talking about - and what I was talking about. THe trend of
these companies trying to cash in on ledgendary nameplates... and not
pulling it off well. Thunderbird was a wonderful tribute to the
original.. but it wasn't successful because it was tooo retro. It was
more eye candy than useful.

For an auto company to heavily invest into a platform, who's only
objective is filling in the role of their main bread and butter, mass
produced, mass marketed, sedan... and slap a name like Charger on
whatever car they come up with and hope that a "couple subtle style
cues" will hint that the car has any ties to its predecessors... is
risky business.

If they are not going to go full retro with the design, the car has to
be good enough to stand on its own without the Charger name, inorder to
sell... it has to be a bad ass awesome machine whos name just happens to
be charger... which I honestly think is the case - I think Dodge did
build an awesome sedan, that could hold its own against anything in the
industry... but like someone else said - I think it was Jon... to stick
that name on it - and expect people to love it - when its NOT a
charger.. is a little insane. I love the car itself - but as a Charger?
eh - it doesn't deserve to have that name.

********** COUNTDOWN TO 2005 DML BBQ *43* DAYS LEFT! **********
*Caution* Terrible Tom may suddenly accelerate to dangerous speeds. What
pond?
AIM & Yahoo: SilverEightynine - http://members.aol.com/silvereightynine/