Re: Re: Charger: What's in a name?

From: Josh Battles (josh@omg-stfu.com)
Date: Wed Jun 15 2005 - 20:28:35 EDT

jon@dakota-truck.net wrote:

> Something I've kinda thought would be cool for that application is
> an older, restified vehicle. I don't exactly know what floats your
> boat in that department, but upgraded underpinnings in a classic
> vehicle would be cool, wether it is something like a Coronet or
> Belvedere or an all out luxo-barge. :-) I can still remember a trip
> to Carlisle a couple/few years ago; I think Ed and I were driving down
> in my '96 Dak at my usual 5-10 over the limit on the PA turnpike
> when this 70s C body in police colors went by us like were were
> standing still. It was pretty cool looking; had the big ol' gumball
> on the top. I think that year, Carlisle was having some sort of
> police car focus, I'm sure that's where he was headed. It wasn't
> just the speed that got me, it was how absolutely smooth it was, and
> the sound. I don't know exactly what he had under the hood but it
> was a big block for sure and he must have had some *tall* gears in
> the rear, because that engine was just purring like a kitten. :-)
> IIRC, he had the windows up too, so he probably had the AC cranking
> to boot. If I had to spend hours at a time at triple digit speeds
> crossing the country, give me something like that! :-) (Granted,
> it probably makes more fuel stops than an M5, ;-) but on the other
> hand, the initial purchase would probably be half as much.)

You know, I've been tossing this idea around for quite some time now.
I've been on the lookout for a reasonably priced 63 Lincoln Continental
in decent condition, convertables a plus. The whole idea of cruising
around the country in a big couch on wheels with modern reliable
underpinnings is a really cool idea and I think I'd like it.

I thought I was the only one who thought like this.

--
- Josh
Lowered 2000 Dakota CC 3.9L