Re: Re: Charger: What's in a name?

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Wed Jun 15 2005 - 15:38:44 EDT

Michael Maskalans <dml@tepidcola.com> wrote:
: On Tue, 14 Jun 2005, Tom Byrne wrote:
:> My only complaints about the Charger are that I cannot get a stripped down
:> models with a Hemi and I can't get a manual transmission.

: I'd be extremely happy with an SRT-8 Charger even with all the required
: lux options but my bahn burner will be a manual transmission vehicle. I
: was pretty insulted when I asked the salesman about the availibility of a
: manual and his excuse wasn't the electronics of the MDS system as I
: expected it to be but isntead something about not wanting people to be
: able to miss shifts and blow up their HEMIs.

   What a doofus. Sounds like another sales droid who doesn't know what
he's talking about. I dunno if its just salesmen or people in general,
but what's wrong with saying "I don't know"? Seems like everybody wants
to be an expert and nobody wants to admit that something might be outside
of their realm of expertise. There's a ton of stuff that I have no
clue about; which is probably a good thing since half the fun in life
is learning new stuff. :-) Anyhoo...

   Chrysler doesn't seem too concerned with people blowing up the V10s
in their Vipers which are worth somewhere between 2-3 times as much as
a new HEMI (if crate motor prices are any indication). Or in any other
vehicle they currently offer with a stick, for that matter. I suspect
an answer that might be closer to the truth is that they simply don't
have a manual transmission for that motor. Its not like it couldn't
be done, I would guess they are either working on it or have done a
cost/benefit analysis and decided it wasn't worth the trouble. I have
a feeling they might just go with some sort of autostick and call it a
day. (If they haven't already, that is - I did test drive a HEMI Magnum
once but don't remember if it had the autostick).

: screw you, buddy.

  Heh; for sure. "Well, you don't need to worry about me blowing up my
HEMI - I won't be buying one." ;-)

: I'm looking at used M5s instead. Maybe in 6-8 months I can afford one.
: It's a lot more car for about the same price.

   Something I've kinda thought would be cool for that application is
an older, restified vehicle. I don't exactly know what floats your
boat in that department, but upgraded underpinnings in a classic
vehicle would be cool, wether it is something like a Coronet or
Belvedere or an all out luxo-barge. :-) I can still remember a trip
to Carlisle a couple/few years ago; I think Ed and I were driving down
in my '96 Dak at my usual 5-10 over the limit on the PA turnpike
when this 70s C body in police colors went by us like were were
standing still. It was pretty cool looking; had the big ol' gumball
on the top. I think that year, Carlisle was having some sort of
police car focus, I'm sure that's where he was headed. It wasn't
just the speed that got me, it was how absolutely smooth it was, and
the sound. I don't know exactly what he had under the hood but it
was a big block for sure and he must have had some *tall* gears in
the rear, because that engine was just purring like a kitten. :-)
IIRC, he had the windows up too, so he probably had the AC cranking
to boot. If I had to spend hours at a time at triple digit speeds
crossing the country, give me something like that! :-) (Granted,
it probably makes more fuel stops than an M5, ;-) but on the other
hand, the initial purchase would probably be half as much.)

--
                                          -Jon-

.-- Jon Steiger ---- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com --. | 1970 Barracuda - 1990 Dakota 'vert - 1992 Ram 4x4 - 1996 Dakota | | 1996 Intruder 1400 - 1996 Kolb FireFly - 2001 Ram QC 3500 CTD | `------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com --'