RE: Charger: What's in a name?

From: Ray Block (bpracing@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Thu Jun 16 2005 - 08:35:24 EDT

FWIW Jon, I agree with you. They could have called it something silly like
"Dodge Family Sportster" and I wouldn't have a problem with it. Just not
Charger! (I was the original owner of a '69 Charger R/T, so perhaps you
can understand my bias.)

And now they have the "Daytona" package which, although it has a few unique
performance enhancements, seems like a desperate attempt by marketing to
convince people this really is a "Charger" through the liberal application
of black vinyl graphics and spoilers. (sorta like GM on trying to make the
new GTO more marketable by the addition of scoops and such)

Imagine the flack Ford would have taken if the new Mustang was a 4-door
sedan! As it is, the Mustang is attractive to new customers as well as the
purists who grew up with the originals and have certain expectations of a
car with that name.

-Ray