318/360 swap in GenII Dak

From: kvmac45@comcast.net
Date: Tue Jun 28 2005 - 10:00:30 EDT

In the midst of preparing for a 360 swap in my 92 Dakota. Has the auto. I have
a complete 360 engine out of a 2000 Durango. After searching some of the back
archives, I just wanted to confirm some info. The engine came with the
flexplate and harmonic balancer. However, it appears that they changed the
flexplate/torque converter around 98 or so? The 2000 flexplate that I have will
not work with my 92 spec torque converter because of balancing issues and bolt
placement, correct?

If that is the case, are my options to find an earlier flexplate, which is
probably the cheapest, or get a new torque converter designed to match up with
a 2000 360? I was considering getting a new stall anyway, so this might be the
way to go for me.

Was looking at the Martin Saine units from Fastman since they are some of the
cheaper ones. APS is too expensive for me right now, along with the Viper
units. I thought about the Mopar ones but I keep hearing conflicting reports on
their reliability.

As far as the swap is concerned, I have a 94-95 360 MP PCM to run it. I have
the stock injectors from the 360 but they look to be the newer design so I will
need to splice into my harness. Since I have the 2000 engine harness that will
not be too difficult to do since I have the connectors already. Engine will
have 1.6 rockers, mildly ported/polished stock heads, Comp Cams 604 cam, M1,
ported TB, UD pulleys, Electric fan, DT headers and MSD ignition. MAybe a
couple other odds and ends that I can't think of right now. I was considering
going 1.7 with the cam, but that would mean .600 springs instead of the .525 I
have right now, and I am fairly certain the heads would need to be slightly
clearanced for the bigger ratio.

Thanks

Kevin