Re: Rearview Mirror Adhesive

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Fri Jul 01 2005 - 09:58:57 EDT

Terrible Tom <SilverEightynine@aol.com> wrote:
: PerDavid Henry wrote:
:> Anyone have a favorite adhesive for the rear view mirror? Mine became
:> gravitaionally challenged a couple weeks back. I found it sittng on the
:> seat. Any tips? I did have the windsheild replaced a few years back, so
:> it's not the OEM glue on there anymore.
:>
:> David 94 CC Sport 4x4, 318, 5spd, Lifted with 33" BFG MT's
:>
:>

: permatex rear view mirror adhesive kits. Two bucks at your local parts
: store. Comes with the activator and the glue. Biggest thing to getting
: them to work right is to have the mating surfaces perfectly clean. No
: glue or oil residue on either the glass or the button. Mark the location
: of the button on the OUTside of the windsheild... Use a product like
: Goof Off or Goo Gone - to remove the old glue, then use glass cleaner to
: remove the residue from that, and finally - isopropanol alcohol for a
: totally clean surface. Apply activator to the glass - let it sit for 5
: mins - apply 1 or 2 drops of glue to the button - hold button in place
: for 2 mins or so - - wait about an hour for the glue to cure before
: putting the mirror back on

  Yep, what Tom said. :-) The same thing happened to my '96. Came out
one morning and the rearview mirror was dangling. (Mine has the auto
day/night so there is a wire running from it into the headliner.) I just
went to Autozone and found a rearview mirror adhesive kit; probably the
Permatex one Tom mentioned; there was an activator and you just use a drop
or so of the glue stuff. I could still see where the mirror was, as there
was a mark there so I traced around that outline on the outside of the
windshield with a wax crayon, then cleaned the inside of the windsheild with
rubbing alcohol and made sure it was nice and dry, then just followed the
instructions on the back of the kit. Worked great, and the mirror is still
where its supposed to be. :-)

--
                                          -Jon-

.-- Jon Steiger ---- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com --. | 1970 Barracuda - 1990 Dakota 'vert - 1992 Ram 4x4 - 1996 Dakota | | 1996 Intruder 1400 - 1996 Kolb FireFly - 2001 Ram QC 3500 CTD | `------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com --'