Re: Trouble codes

From: david.clement@verizon.net
Date: Tue Jul 05 2005 - 15:23:47 EDT

Jon, my experience with pre OBD-II mopars is the two digit code will reflect an
issue with a particular circuit to further narrow it to the multiple
possibilities requires the use of other diagnotic tools (multi-meter or
dedicated sensor testor) and the FSM. Hooking up to a read out tool will not
provide further refinement. The factory DRB tool besides reading the code has
the capability to activate outputs of the computer such as activating an
solenoid. Also, the exact definition of the pre OBD-II code changed from year
to year so the 37 code example for one year may deal with the temperature
sensor and another year the troque covertor.

The early OBD-II systems (my 97 Avenger for example) had the two digit key
on/off output, which could be further refined to an OBD-II code with a OBD-II
scan tool. An example was my check engine light came on on the Avenger, the key
on/off routine told me it was an O2 sensor. When I plugged it into my OBD-II
scan tool I got a code for the rear bank upstream sensor.

Dave Clement
99 SLT+ CC 4x4