Re: Trouble codes

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Thu Jul 07 2005 - 13:15:51 EDT

david.clement@verizon.net wrote:

: Jon, my experience with pre OBD-II mopars is the two digit code will reflect an
: issue with a particular circuit to further narrow it to the multiple
: possibilities requires the use of other diagnotic tools (multi-meter or
: dedicated sensor testor) and the FSM. Hooking up to a read out tool will not
: provide further refinement. The factory DRB tool besides reading the code has
: the capability to activate outputs of the computer such as activating an
: solenoid. Also, the exact definition of the pre OBD-II code changed from year
: to year so the 37 code example for one year may deal with the temperature
: sensor and another year the troque covertor.

: The early OBD-II systems (my 97 Avenger for example) had the two digit key
: on/off output, which could be further refined to an OBD-II code with a OBD-II
: scan tool. An example was my check engine light came on on the Avenger, the key
: on/off routine told me it was an O2 sensor. When I plugged it into my OBD-II
: scan tool I got a code for the rear bank upstream sensor.

   That's kind've a bummer. My "trouble codes" experience is only
with OBD-II vehicles, so I assumed that the pre-OBD-II vehicles were
the same where plugging in the scan tool would give you the exact
error code. :-( Oh well.

--
                                          -Jon-

.-- Jon Steiger ---- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com --. | 1970 Barracuda - 1990 Dakota 'vert - 1992 Ram 4x4 - 1996 Dakota | | 1996 Intruder 1400 - 1996 Kolb FireFly - 2001 Ram QC 3500 CTD | `------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com --'