Re: Trouble codes

From: david.clement@verizon.net
Date: Thu Jul 07 2005 - 15:26:22 EDT

One of the reasons for OBD-II was to standardize across all makes a code
convention and electrical interfaces. Now any P0xxx code will have the same
meaning regardless of manufacturer. P1xxx codes are addtional codes that the
manufacturers are allowed to create for addtional diagnostic capabilities.

Dave Clement
99 SLT+ CC 4x4

In article <dajo07$ef2$1@bent.twistedbits.net>, jon@dakota-truck.net writes:

> david.clement@verizon.net wrote:
>
> : Jon, my experience with pre OBD-II mopars is the two digit code will
reflect an
> : issue with a particular circuit to further narrow it to the multiple
> : possibilities requires the use of other diagnotic tools (multi-meter or
> : dedicated sensor testor) and the FSM. Hooking up to a read out tool will
not
> : provide further refinement. The factory DRB tool besides reading the code
has
> : the capability to activate outputs of the computer such as activating an
> : solenoid. Also, the exact definition of the pre OBD-II code changed from
year
> : to year so the 37 code example for one year may deal with the temperature
> : sensor and another year the troque covertor.
>
> : The early OBD-II systems (my 97 Avenger for example) had the two digit key
> : on/off output, which could be further refined to an OBD-II code with a
OBD-II
> : scan tool. An example was my check engine light came on on the Avenger, the
key
> : on/off routine told me it was an O2 sensor. When I plugged it into my
OBD-II