Re: TB stock bolt size?

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Fri Jul 15 2005 - 00:36:47 EDT

F <joshrh@yahoo.com> wrote:

: Can somebody tell me what the stock
: bolts for the throttle body in a 5.9l
: 360 is? I want to take off the airaid
: spacer that was on the truck when I got
: it and see how it does without it.

   I believe they are 5/16-18 with a length of 2.25" (as measured
under the head). The stock bolts have an integral washer, you probably
won't find that type at the local hardware store, so just pick up
four washers while you are at it to use under the bolt heads. (Err,
one washer for each of the four bolts that is, not four washers per
each.) :-) Without the washers, the bolt heads can dig into the
soft throttle body and create aluminum chips which have nowhere to
go except down into the engine. Torque the bolts to 200 inch pounds
(16-17 ft-lbs). Since the steel bolts and aluminum intake manifold
are dissimilar metals, I like to use just a touch of anti-seize on
the threads. If you do use anti-seize though, you should probably
torque to somewhere around 170-180 inch pounds instead of 200 to
compensate for the reduced K factor. (Ummm, in english, basically
the anti-seize lubricates the bolt which will result in an incorrect
torque reading - the lubricated bolt will basically be stretched more
than a dry bolt would be at any given torque, so the general rule of
thumb is to knock about 10-15% off any "dry torque" spec when you are
installing a lubricated fastener. Plus, you want to be extra careful
since you are dealing with aluminum threads.)

--
                                          -Jon-

.-- Jon Steiger ---- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com --. | 1970 Barracuda - 1990 Dakota 'vert - 1992 Ram 4x4 - 1996 Dakota | | 1996 Intruder 1400 - 1996 Kolb FireFly - 2001 Ram QC 3500 CTD | `------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com --'