Re: Transfercase Vaccum Switch Bad?

From: Walt@Walt-n-Ingrid.Com
Date: Sat Jul 16 2005 - 09:00:18 EDT

In article <42D87C59.1070002@aol.com>, SilverEightynine@aol.com (Terrible Tom)
writes:

> Well I have made good progress with Christine... but I have lots left to
> do. I find myself trouble shooting a vaccum problem with the front axle
> CAD (central axle disconnect). It seems I have 20 inch lbs of vaccum on
> BOTH lines going to the CAD. Um - thats not right heh. One line should
> feed vaccum at any given time. One for engagement and the other for
> disengagement of the axle. When I appled vaccum (with a vaccum pump) to
> only the outboard port - the CAD engaged the 4x4 light inside came on,
> and the axle locked together. having Vaccum at both lines will cause
> the CAD to not do anything at all. I checked the hose connections and
> they all seem good and in the correct order. My question is this - if
> the vaccum switch in the transfercase is bad - which is supposed to
> switch the vaccum over when the transfercase lever is engaged, will
> thise cause vaccum on both lines?? Is it possible for that switch to
> fail in a way where that will happen?

That's what it sounds like to me. I had the same problem on mine a bunch of
years back. The switch just screws into the side of the transfer case and
should run you in the $60 range.

Did you ever consider picking up a parts truck for Christine? I've seen quite
a few Gen I 4x4 Dakotas on eBay in the Wisconsin & Michigan areas for around
$500.
http://tinyurl.com/c9nnp
http://tinyurl.com/94pf7

A $500 clunker that doesn't run may still get you doors, front diff, trans,
Trasnfer case & a tail gate which are all items you have or need to replace. If
you're lucky, maybe even a decent frame.