Re: short rant

From: steve preston (steves287dak@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Jul 17 2005 - 11:57:11 EDT

I couldn`t help but laugh as I read your post,Mike,but
I know it`s not funny. I`ve had to deal with stuff
like that for years,and it`s the same people you get!
:) They must take their car to you in the morning,then
cross over the VA/WV line and drive clear out to me so
I can deal with them in my line of work! I believe
there has to be a book of complaint lines and phrases
that everybody has read,because they`re always the
same:

1) "I`ve bought (1-17) _______ from "YOU PEOPLE!"

2) "I`ve been bringing my stuff to "YOU PEOPLE" for
years,and this kinda thing has happened here before!!"
(I LOVE that one!)

3) "It never did that before you guys worked on it!"
That one simply dilates every blood vessel in my
body,because it`s always a new problem,and you`ll
never be able to explain that to their satisfaction.

4) "If I`da known it was gonna cost me an arm and a
leg,I`da......rah rah rah rah rah." I know. I know.
SHUT up! Smack!! This gripe always occurs when they
have pen in hand,writing the check. They are in the
"final throes",and it`s not orgasm.

5) Health issues arise right after they see or hear
the price. Have you ever noticed that? "As soon as I
leave here I gotta go back down to the hospital,all my
glands are swollen up again and I don`t know how much
THAT`S gonna be,so....." Well,you just be sure to
have `em treat you for sticker shock while you`re down
there.

6) Then there`s the "If you.....then I`ll...." This
one really gets me. There are many variants,but the
number one that I always hear,in two different
professions,is: "If you DO ME A GOOD JOB,then I`ll
probably have you do more work for me later on",or
"tell ALL my friends about you",or "tell everyone at
work". Actually,there`s two reasons I don`t like this
one:

First of all,the inferrence is that I may NOT do a
good job,so I need to be warned beforehand.

Secondly,it just sounds so plantational. "Now listen
here,boy! You pick all that cotton today,and I`ll let
you see your mama for a spell. But ONLY if you pick
BOTH ACRES,ya hear?"

--- Mike Sykes <mikesykes@cox.net> wrote:

> to start this message, I want to warn those who
> don't know me... I rant on
> occasion... not because I want to, but becuase it's
> a necessity to maintain
> my sanity....
>
> delete now or forever hold your peas. =)
>
> I work at a dealership. I am a Service Advisor....
> at a dodge dealership
> nonetheless. This is scary. I see what *can* go
> wrong with our trucks, and I
> see what it costs to repair. Some things are nickle
> and dime stuff, and some
> are just outright expensive. I understand why
> dealerships are more expensive
> now that I have worked in that setting, but $200 in
> repairs is expensive no
> matter where you are. Regardless, customers are the
> lifeblood of a
> Dealership service department despite how ignorant
> or rude they might be. It
> seems that the people who are the most ignorant are
> the ones who buy the
> nicest cars. What I seem to not understand, is why
> somebody thinks that if
> they buy a car from the Sales department, I, in the
> service department, must
> owe them something. I get a lot of this:
> - me "Sir, it's going to cost about $125.00 to fix
> your check engine light.
> We have to replace a couple of hoses, but it
> shouldn't take too long. We
> also have to reset your computer and test it to make
> sure that the hoses
> fixed the problem."
> -customer "$125?! But I have a warranty. That's not
> covered?!!"
> -me "I'm sorry sir, but your warranty only covers
> emissions related items
> for 3years 36k miles. You have 47k on your truck."
> - "but I have an extended warranty"
> - "I'm sorry but your extended warranty is for
> powertrain only. Emissions
> control and electronics are not considered
> powertrain"
> ...customer begins to raise his voice...
> "I've bought 3 cars from you guys! Are you trying to
> tell me I have to pay
> $125 to get that little light on my dash to turn
> off??"
> -me "Sir, you brought the car in for me to diagnose
> why your check engine
> light is on. This why it's on, this is what it costs
> to make it turn off."
> "I ain't payin' for that"
> "okay.... I have to charge you for diagnosis time"
> "how much is that?"
> "$80.00"
> "that's ridiculous!"
> "Sir, you were told up front and you signed a peice
> of paper that states
> that non-warranty vehicle would be charged a fee for
> diagnosis to cover the
> mechanic's time."
> "this is BS, I've bought 3 cars from here"
> "that's how it is sir, I can't change shop policy."
>
> The other one I get is this:
> customer approaches counter... tosses keys on
> counter...
> [...]

Steve P.
Two-thousand one (2001) Flame Red Dodge Dakota Sport RC 4X4,4.7L eight-piston w/3.92 limited-slip,air,cruise,tilt,knob(not shifter)induced four by,with optional hand crank windows and finger locks that added substantially to the overall cost. Steigerperformance air intake providing twenty additional RWHP (ten at the flywheel). PLUS,a custom dual-exhaust than is real loud,with gigantic 2 1/4" pipes sticking out the back,reminiscent of warship cannons primed and ready for the heat of battle. The other mods (headlight and taillight covers and black step bars) do not add significantly to the speed of this vehicle,but are there purely for intimidation purposes,as the markings of a cobra signify it`s deadly potency. Put simply,this truck cannot be stopped.