short rant

From: Mike Sykes (mikesykes@cox.net)
Date: Fri Jul 15 2005 - 21:53:55 EDT

to start this message, I want to warn those who don't know me... I rant on
occasion... not because I want to, but becuase it's a necessity to maintain
my sanity....

delete now or forever hold your peas. =)

I work at a dealership. I am a Service Advisor.... at a dodge dealership
nonetheless. This is scary. I see what *can* go wrong with our trucks, and I
see what it costs to repair. Some things are nickle and dime stuff, and some
are just outright expensive. I understand why dealerships are more expensive
now that I have worked in that setting, but $200 in repairs is expensive no
matter where you are. Regardless, customers are the lifeblood of a
Dealership service department despite how ignorant or rude they might be. It
seems that the people who are the most ignorant are the ones who buy the
nicest cars. What I seem to not understand, is why somebody thinks that if
they buy a car from the Sales department, I, in the service department, must
owe them something. I get a lot of this:
- me "Sir, it's going to cost about $125.00 to fix your check engine light.
We have to replace a couple of hoses, but it shouldn't take too long. We
also have to reset your computer and test it to make sure that the hoses
fixed the problem."
-customer "$125?! But I have a warranty. That's not covered?!!"
-me "I'm sorry sir, but your warranty only covers emissions related items
for 3years 36k miles. You have 47k on your truck."
- "but I have an extended warranty"
- "I'm sorry but your extended warranty is for powertrain only. Emissions
control and electronics are not considered powertrain"
...customer begins to raise his voice...
"I've bought 3 cars from you guys! Are you trying to tell me I have to pay
$125 to get that little light on my dash to turn off??"
-me "Sir, you brought the car in for me to diagnose why your check engine
light is on. This why it's on, this is what it costs to make it turn off."
"I ain't payin' for that"
"okay.... I have to charge you for diagnosis time"
"how much is that?"
"$80.00"
"that's ridiculous!"
"Sir, you were told up front and you signed a peice of paper that states
that non-warranty vehicle would be charged a fee for diagnosis to cover the
mechanic's time."
"this is BS, I've bought 3 cars from here"
"that's how it is sir, I can't change shop policy."

The other one I get is this:
customer approaches counter... tosses keys on counter...
"oil change"

walks off

... um.. do I LOOK like a waiter? Who the F*CK do you think you are?! Would
you like some more sugar in your coffee sir? how about some lemon for your
tea? The soup of the day is Broccoli Cheese Delight, sir. More cheese for
you salad?

UGH!

rant mode off<

-miggity
Newport News VA
2000 FR R/T CC

14.88 @ 92.50

"...you have no chance to survive make your time..... hahaha."