Re: Valve Covers

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Tue Jul 19 2005 - 21:39:59 EDT

"James Calder" <jCalder3@cfl.rr.com> wrote:

: I didn't bother taking a close look at the way the valve covers came off
: before rebuild disassembly on my friends '93 3.9. Is this correct:
: Driver side; Front = oil fill; Rear = grommet with large hole?
: Passenger side; Front = grommet with small hole; Rear = oil fill hole?
: Or am I all mixed up?

   Hoo boy, this is taxing my brain a bit since its been a while since
my valve covers resembled anything like stock, but I *think* your oil
fill caps are both going to be at the front. The driver's side rear
will have the grommet with the large hole, which is for the PCV breather
(which has a hose running from the breather to the air cleaner), and
the passenger side rear is going to have the grommet with the small
hole, which is for the PCV valve, which has a hose running from it
to a nipple on the side of the intake manifold.

   Its possible that this arrangement may have changed from year to
year also. In any event, functionally, it doesn't really matter
where the oil fills or the grommets go, as long as the PCV breather
gets hooked up to the air filter and the PCV valve gets hooked up
to the intake manifold. So you don't need to worry about damaging
the engine if you hook it up "wrong", but you might lose some points
at a judged car show. ;-)

--
                                          -Jon-

.-- Jon Steiger ---- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com --. | 1970 Barracuda - 1990 Dakota 'vert - 1992 Ram 4x4 - 1996 Dakota | | 1996 Intruder 1400 - 1996 Kolb FireFly - 2001 Ram QC 3500 CTD | `------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com --'