Re: Valve Covers

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@aol.com)
Date: Tue Jul 19 2005 - 22:59:08 EDT

jon@dakota-truck.net wrote:
> "James Calder" <jCalder3@cfl.rr.com> wrote:
>
> : I didn't bother taking a close look at the way the valve covers came off
> : before rebuild disassembly on my friends '93 3.9. Is this correct:
> : Driver side; Front = oil fill; Rear = grommet with large hole?
> : Passenger side; Front = grommet with small hole; Rear = oil fill hole?
> : Or am I all mixed up?
>

> Hoo boy, this is taxing my brain a bit since its been a while since
> my valve covers resembled anything like stock, but I *think* your oil
> fill caps are both going to be at the front. The driver's side rear
> will have the grommet with the large hole, which is for the PCV breather
> (which has a hose running from the breather to the air cleaner), and
> the passenger side rear is going to have the grommet with the small
> hole, which is for the PCV valve, which has a hose running from it
> to a nipple on the side of the intake manifold.
>
> Its possible that this arrangement may have changed from year to
> year also. In any event, functionally, it doesn't really matter
> where the oil fills or the grommets go, as long as the PCV breather
> gets hooked up to the air filter and the PCV valve gets hooked up
> to the intake manifold. So you don't need to worry about damaging
> the engine if you hook it up "wrong", but you might lose some points
> at a judged car show. ;-)

pretty darn close there Jon!

On my 1989 premags, oil fill cap is on the drivers side front valve
cover... with the PVC valve behind it in that one... passenger side has
a breather filter which pipes up to the air cleaner fitting.

93 may be different from 89 - but oil fill caps is always on front
drivers side regardless of what year (stock) valve cover.

****** COUNTDOWN TO 2005 DML BBQ *7* DAYS LEFT! ******
*Caution* Terrible Tom may suddenly accelerate to dangerous speeds. What
pond?
AIM & Yahoo: SilverEightynine - http://members.aol.com/silvereightynine/